What's on this page:

Academic Advising Office Hours

Major Changes

Academic Orientation Program (AOP)

Petition for Reinstatement

Academic Probation


Academic Advising Office Hours and Locations

Students can schedule an appointment or take advantage of drop in hours (8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.) at any of the five Engagement Centers. Office Hours: 8:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m Monday - Friday.
The 1st two weeks of classes we ONLY have drop-in hours available.

Taking an Active Role in the Advising Process

Academic advising is a collaborative effort between a student and an advisor. Students are best served when they are active participants in the advising process.
  • See an academic advisor at least twice each semester. You can schedule an appointment or take advantage of drop-in hours.
  • Think about what you would like to get out of your advising session.
  • Come prepared to give the advising session your full attention.
  • Bring a list of possible majors that you are interested in exploring.
  • Check the online Academic Program Catalog for courses needed for a particular major.
  • Check Schedule of Courses for class times and for course pre-requisites.
  • Ask questions if you don't understand something.
  • Take notes and keep copies of your advising material in a folder.
  • Follow through with the recommended support services.
  • Regularly check your MSU email for official communications.


How to Change your Major

The NSSC only changes the primary major of Freshmen and Sophomores (students having earned fewer than 56 credits)Students in James Madison, Lyman Briggs or the Residential College in the Arts and Humanities will follow the process explained in the “Residential College Process” section below.  Students with 40 or more credits are advised to meet with the major-preference advisor within the college of the new major of interest prior to requesting a major change.   

There are two ways to request a major change:

  1.  Visit any Neighborhood Engagement Center


  1.  Submit an online request: Online Major Change Request Form

*This form was created using Google Apps. Your MSU NetID grants you access to this Google Form.

Note: If you receive the message “You need permission” log out of all Google accounts and close all open tabs or windows running Google Apps, and follow the above steps again.

Form Access Instructions 
  • Sign out of Non-MSU Google Apps accounts and close all tabs or windows running Google Apps (Google Drive, Docs, Calendar, etc.)
  • Select this link: Online Major Change Request Form
  • The MSU Authentication page will open.
  • Enter your MSU NETID and Password

Residential College Process - Freshmen and Sophomores in James Madison, Lyman Briggs or the Residential College in the Arts and Humanities must first complete an exit interview with their residential college advisor or office staff assistant. Upon completion of the exit interview a note will be entered in to your Electronic Student Academic Folder (ESAF) verifying your eligibility to change majors. After the completion of this process students must meet with a Neighborhood Advisor to request a major change. Visit any Neighborhood Engagement Center.

56 or More Earned Credits - To initiate a major change, students must meet with the major advisor and/or contact the Academic and Student Affairs Office (Advising Office) for the college of the new major.

Additional Majors, Second Degrees, and Minors - To add an additional major, second degree or minor, students must meet with the advisor of the program and/or submit a request through the Academic and Student Affairs Office of the college managing the major or minor.  


Academic Orientation Program (AOP)

No-Preference students will meet with Neighborhood Advisors during the College Session: Planning My Learning Experience. During this session, Neighborhood Advisors will talk about:

  • Major Exploration
  • Exploratory/Elective Course Options
  • Academic Matters
  • Academic Support Services
  • Scheduling Assignment

AOP Freshman Booklet

After the AOP College Session students will be given an appointment to meet with a Neighborhood Advisor. During the advising appointment, the advisor and the student will prepare an enrollment plan for the upcoming academic year (fall and spring semesters). This plan typically balances the university requirements with exploratory courses that are applicable toward the minimum 120/123* credits required by Michigan State University for graduation.

After preparing an enrollment plan, students will go to a computer lab to begin the enrollment process. Student aides will work one-on-one with incoming students and assist with enrollment. Advisors will be available for consultation regarding scheduling during this process. Schedules can be altered when students return to campus in the Fall - depending on class availability and other factors.

In the Fall, all No-Preference freshmen students will be assigned to a Neighborhood Advisor. Students are encouraged to meet with their advisor at least once each semester. Students are encouraged to contact a Neighborhood Advisor at any time if they have any questions or concerns.

*A minimum of 123 credits is required for graduation if MTH 1825 is required


Petitioning for Reinstatement

Petition Form

Petitioning for Reinstatement provides you an opportunity to speak with the Associate Dean about your academic progress in your most recent semester(s). During this interaction, students commonly express extenuating circumstances that impact(ed) their ability to meet the rigors of the university and strategies for returning to “Good academic standing". You may submit a Petition for Reinstatement for any future semester prior to the completion of the required three consecutive semesters of recess.

Petitioning for Reinstatement does not guarantee you will be reinstated, and simple desire to return to the university is not sufficient support for a petition. You need to prove (not merely assert) you are ready to succeed if allowed to return to the university and resume course work. This Petition for Reinstatement process is available for recessed students whom where not admitted to a college and have earned less than 56 credits.  Note: This petition does not guarantee reinstatement into MSU.

If you have been dismissed from the University, do not complete this form.  Students who have been dismissed must submit a Readmission Application after the completion of their two year (six consecutive semesters, including summers) term.


Academic Probation Explained

Good academic standing requires that a student have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0. When a student’s cumulative GPA falls below a 2.0 their academic status is moved from Good Academic Standing to Academic Probation. When placed on academic probation, a student needs to assess their academic performance and identify what they need to do to return to good academic standing.

A Student on Academic Probation Must

  • Complete the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) form. The link to this form can be found on the Financial Aid webpage in the 3rd paragraph under the heading “How to Appeal”.
  • After completing and submitting the SAP form, a student must meet with an academic advisor for a probation conference and have an advisor compelte their portion of the form.

Students who have declared a major preference may wish to schedule his/her SAP appointment with the advisor for that major or they may meet with a Neighborhood advisor in one of the five Neighborhood Engagement Centers.

Probation Conferences are most effective when they are done at or prior to the beginning of the semester!