Academic Probation

Good academic standing requires that a student have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0. When a student’s cumulative GPA falls below a 2.0 they will be placed on academic Probation or they may be Recessed (or Dismissed). When placed on any level of academic probation, a student must assess their academic performance with an advisor and identify what they need to do to return to good academic standing.

A Student on Academic Probation Must

  • Complete the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) form. The link to this form can be found on the Financial Aid webpage in the 3rd paragraph under the heading “How to Appeal”.
  • After completing and submitting the SAP form, a student must meet with an academic advisor at the beginning of the semester for a probation conference (SAP meeting) to assess their past performance, and to make a plan for success. The advisor will submit this plan for approval of the student’s Assistant Dean and, if applicable, the Office of Financial Aid.

Students who have a major preference must schedule his/her probation conference (SAP meeting) with the advisor for that major. Exploratory Preference students must meet with a Neighborhood advisor in one of the five Neighborhood Engagement Centers.

Probation Conferences are most effective when they are done at or prior to the beginning of the semester!